Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Some dyeing...

My dear friend C gave me a whole bunch of fabric last night, following a major clean-out of her late mother's house.  Some of it is very nice, lots of it is... er, very green.  I am very grateful, however mindful of the fact that a person's wardrobe can contain limited amounts of bright green.  
So this was today's activities...
Dyeing the paler green was my main aim, and it got boiled for the requisite hour.  I love the dirty khaki brown it has become, and even though I originally envisioned a Pattern Magic 2 thing I am now leaning towards a skirt.  The two darker greens were tossed in the leftovers, just because I thought "why not?".  They are less "St Patricks Day" now, and more "wine bottle", so a bit better.  I might do them over again, with a fresh batch of dye.  Another reason they didn't "take" as well is probably that they are mostly cotton.


At the same time, I noticed my T-shirt that I boiled in turmeric eighteen months ago had gone very pale.  Not enough salt?  So it enjoyed a re-spicing up.  Literally.  This time half a cup of salt went in, plus 2tsp turmeric.  We'll see how the colour holds up this time...


And in case you are wondering, that top pot is only used for dyeing.... I have no intentions of poisoning my family's soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment